Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Snow Cone Station with Homemade Low-Sugar Syrups



Sometimes I just need a good organizing project. Believe it or not, organizing relaxes me.  That makes me weird, right?  

It all started weeks ago when Graham kept asking for snow cones.  We've not gone to the local snow cone shop with the boys because we have cross-contamination concerns with their condensed milk "cream" flavors.  Jeff worked there in high school and knew it would not be safe.  

But Graham got the idea in my head, and I really did want my boys to enjoy their first snow cones this summer.  

I knew Target had a great selection of snow cone machines and accessories in the summer section.  So I asked all my friends to be on the look-out for clearance markdowns.  My mother-in-law caught the 50% markdowns and grabbed a machine and silicone cones for us.  By the way, I have a great mother-in-law!

We have enough cones and holders for all the kids on the street.  Move over ice cream truck....



Then I took to my mission of making healthier snow cone syrups myself.  I picked up some plastic bottles, Kool-Aid packs, and a big bag of Stevia in the Raw at Meijer.  Then I got to work!

HOMEMADE, LOW-SUGAR SNOW CONE SYRUP
1 cup water
3/4 cup stevia
1/4 cup sugar or agave
1-2 packs of Kool-Aid

Mix together water, stevia, and sugar in a small saucepan and then heat on stove until boiling.  Let boil one minute.  Remove from heat and mix in Kool-Aid.  Let sit for a bit until you can transfer to a glass jar.  Store in frig until cold.  Then transfer to plastic bottles.  I didn't want to move hot syrup into plastic bottles for fear of any leaching.  

For some of my syrups I used just one Kool-Aid pack.  For others, I used two packs.  It depends on your taste.  Two can make the syrup a little sour which is great for some flavors.  



Here is our little snow cone station set up in the kitchen.  I worked summer decor all around the colors in the snow cone machine, and I love how it turned out.  Now it's time to start shaving some ice!  







1 comment:

Miss Tower Flower said...

Great idea! I picked up the same machine on clearance at Target. The dispenser bottles are really cute. Where did you find them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...